Mac & Cheese is not something Dutch people really eat (a lot), but in the USA we know it’s a real thing. For our 13th Hot Sauce Recipe we decided to make our own version of this classic American Macaroni dish: the Spicy Mac & Cheese. It still involves a lot of cheese, but of course we also incorporated a serious amount of hot sauce in this recipe.
Below you will find the spicy mac & cheese video, but if you rather read the instructions and ingredients, scroll below the video.
Ingredients Spicy Mac & Cheese
- Macaroni, 500 grams
- Whole Milk, 500ml
- Gouda Cheese, 200 grams
- Parmesan Cheese, 200 grams
- Cheddar Cheese, 200 grams
- Flour, 2 table spoons
- Hot Sauce
- Butter unsalted, 25 grams
- Salt & Pepper
- Put the butter into a pan and wait until it’s melted. Then add the flour and keep stirring for about 2 minutes. The result is a “roux”.
- Now add 500ml of milk to the roux and add hot sauce, salt and black pepper. Cook this mix for about 8 minutes until it gets thicker and keeps sticking to the back of a spoon. Then our bechamel is ready.
- Now let’s add all the grated cheeses to the bechamel and mix until you have a thick cheese sauce.
- In the meantime you have “all dente” cooked 500 grams of Macaroni. Let’s add this to the cheese sauce and mix well. Finish off with some extra hot sauce and your Spicy Mac & Cheese is done.
- Don’t forget to subscribe to our Youtube channel, where we drop a new recipe involving hot sauce every Sunday!